Windows tries to use 6to4 and Teredo automatically, not always resulting in a good IPv6 experience. To disable both, execute these commands:
netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state disabled
netsh interface teredo set state disabled
On Windows XP teredo isn’t a context inside interface, but rather a setting in ipv6:
netsh interface ipv6 set teredo disabled
Sources and more information:
Hitting Alt Left Shift is second nature to me by now — that’s how you switch keyboard layouts in Windows. I use the U.S. keyboard layout for most things: not just writing in English but also at the Unix command prompt or when writing code. But when chatting in Finnish, the Finnish keyboard layout is a must (for “ääkköset”).
On Mac OS X it is possible to implement something similar, but different. (more…)
Okay, you can use an iPod or iPad with more than one computer, which is good news for me. Just set the device to Manually manage music and videos on its home iTunes computer first.
Unfortunately there are exceptions to this rule: the only iPod that can be freely connected to both Mac OS and Windows computers is the iPod Touch. The iPad allows for this as well.
For more information: Using iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers
Direct connections from PuTTY to Cisco routers kept dying on this error, so I finally ran a search. The workaround is to disable re-key on the SSH session. In the PuTTY settings dialogue, goto
Connection > SSH > Kex
Change the following values to zero:
Max minutes before rekey: 0
Max data before rekey: 0
I just had a moment of contentment for being able to copy files using UNC paths across the Internet between different sites. This is thanks to having spent too many hours figuring out limitations and quirks in the routers, access points, firewalls and servers in the picture. Last night I finally moved all IPv4 traffic to my new DMVPN tunnels.
As a result I have realized what the minimum IT hardware requirements are for comfortable living. (more…)
I just patched a couple of ESXi hosts to 4.0.0 build 256968 and found that VMware Tools were no longer loading after upgrading them. After some digging everything is more or less back to normal. (more…)
Ekiga has a problem talking from behind a firewall, or maybe the problem is that both the firewall and Ekiga are trying to be too clever. I’m running siproxd on the firewall to transparently handle SIP connections. All the hardware phones and ATAs as well as X-Lite work well, but Ekiga fails to register.
The fix is controversial: I’m disabling STUN.
gconftool-2 -s /apps/ekiga/general/nat/stun_server --type=string
However, this means Ekiga won’t work from less “intelligent” networks anymore. Since I’m considering Ekiga for my laptop, this might be a problem. Maybe I should try X-Lite under Wine.
I’ve been observing a really strange problem on Ubuntu Server 8.04: processes are sitting in limbo not doing anything. I first observed this as phones losing their SIP registrations periodically (but at random intervals).
When debugging the issue, I saw that a
ping running on the system would often just sit there, not sending more packets, sometimes for seconds on end (I didn’t always wait to see if it would ever continue). Since hitting a key on the keyboard would immediately be echoed back, it wasn’t a problem with the terminal or ssh connection. Pinging the system from another would work without problems. Interrupting
ping would report no packet loss (which was true — you can’t lose replies to packets you didn’t send).
My best guess is that the alternative scheduler chosen by the Ubuntu developers for the server kernels doesn’t work as intended on AMD CPUs (or just the Athlon XP, or some other part of the hardware I’m using).
My “fix” was to switch to Debian 5.0 (lenny), which doesn’t exhibit this problem at all.
I could have tried with the desktop edition of Ubuntu, but can’t really spare the time right now. Especially since I now have something that works reliably again.
I did try with different network hardware, though. I was originally using an SMC card based on
ns83820 (but for some reason not reporting anything at all with
ethtool — works fine with the
gsip driver on NetBSD). I then switched to a Netwjork “brand” card based on
r8169 (well liked by
ethtool). No difference, but stayed with the latter (working
ethtool is always nice).